Social Enterprises Support Manager
Job Vacancy – Apply before May 18, 2023
About Nahdet El Mahrousa
Nahdet El Mahrousa (NM) is an Egyptian not-for-profit, non-governmental organization (NPO/NGO) that builds the capacities of organizations to expand their social impact. We do so by offering customized programs and resources to social enterprises and civil society organizations, and by creating a strong community that links together youth and social innovators with civil society operators, private sector organizations, academic institutions, government agencies, and international organizations.
Position Title: Social Enterprises Support Manager
Position Location: 17 Qasr El Nil, Downtown
Position Duration: One year contract (renewable upon performance appraisal)
Reports to: Portfolio Manager
Job Closing Date: Position open until filled
Target Start Date: Immediately
About the Position
The social enterprises support manager will work closely with his/her assigned social enterprises during their incubation journey to ensure a smooth and rewarding incubation experience. Typically, s/he will act like a program manager and startup “advisor,” and will be expected to actively seek and obtain opportunities to help the enterprises grow. S/he will act as a focal point and main liaison between the incubated enterprises, NM support services, and opportunities presented across the entrepreneurship community at large.
The ideal candidate should demonstrate a keen interest and understanding of enterprises‘ journey and social entrepreneurship, and be able to take on the challenge and initiative of guiding social enterprises throughout the process of incubation to grow sustainably in their fields and expand the social and environmental impact they are aiming to create. S/he will also need to demonstrate excellent communication, negotiation and partnership-building skills, as S/he will be liaising with major stakeholders for their assigned enterprises
The social enterprises support manager will have a thematic focus on one of NM‘s incubator sectors. NM’s incubator is organized into sector-specific programs. It aims to support social enterprises at the idea, early and growth stages that mainly work in the following sectors:
- Clean and Green: clean energy, waste management, food production and sustainable agribusiness
- Creative: handicrafts and performing arts
- Economic Empowerment: enabling local micro-suppliers and producers, micro & small businesses, job creation for marginalized groups, etc.
- Others: tech for social, education, healthcare, sustainable transportation, eco-tourism, gender equality, civic engagement, etc.
Tasks and Responsibilities
The duties of the social enterprises support manager include, but are not limited to:
- Implementation of incubation, acceleration and ideation rounds’ activities in accordance with programs’ objectives and activities’ timeline
- Assisting in monitoring and evaluating the implementation of programs’ activities and providing regular reports and updates to the senior social enterprises support manager and incubator director.
- Conducting field visits as necessary to monitor programs’ implementation
- Supervising the social enterprises coordinator in handling all logistics of workshops, events, and meetings, including: invitations, materials, minutes, etc.
- Helping maintain a network of partners and stakeholders including: government, private sector & NGOs
- Supporting in developing a list of prospective partners
- Organizing and holding awareness campaigns and events related to building and educating the ecosystem
- Assisting in implementation of incubation activities, such as: outreach, applications’ screening, interviewing applicants, selection, bootcamps, capacity building, etc.
- Supporting the content and research team in preparing capacity building program plans
- Carrying the procurement processes for incubator’s service providers (caterers, venue managers, etc.)
- Assisting the content team in identifying mentors/consultants who can work with entrepreneurs on building their businesses and technical skills
- Handling trainings’ finances and budgeting
- Ensuring budgets are utilized and spent in a cost-effective manner
Social Enterprises Support Management
- Acting as a focal point and main liaison between the social enterprises and NM’s different functions (Business Support Unit, Garage El Mahrousa’s co-working space, etc.) or external service providers (consultants, mentors, etc.)
- Working with the social enterprises on setting work plans and budgets, and following up on their execution
- Following up on all activities carried out by the enterprises, documenting progress, achievements and challenges
- Assisting the content and research team in identifying the needs of social entrepreneurs that can help them build the needed business skills and impact as well as technical & managerial skills
- Tracking the progress of the social enterprises throughout their incubation program
- Sourcing relevant growth opportunities for enterprises
- Providing coaching sessions to social enterprises in the fields/subjects that are relevant to his/her previous experience (e.g.: project management, sales, marketing, pricing, HR, etc.)
- Identifying best practices and lessons learned and assisting the content and research team in reflecting them in future capacity building training and services
- Maintaining up-to-date databases with all enterprises’ documents: incubation contracts, work plans, progress reports, financial documents, etc.
- Reporting on the enterprises’ monthly updates and needs to portfolio manager and incubator director
- Supporting the enterprises in business development activities if needed (revising MoUs, attending meetings, etc.)
- Conducting field visits as necessary to monitor the enterprises’ progress
Research and Community Building
- Attending sector-related events, building a pool of experts in the field and providing the enterprises with relevant opportunities, contacts and resources
- Supporting the content and research team in identifying local and international toolkits for training trainers and entrepreneurs
- Understanding different value chains and where there are gaps/opportunities
- Assisting in organizing community building initiatives and maintaining platforms for collaboration between incubated enterprises (online and offline)
- Networking and attending relevant entrepreneurship session/events by community partners that are relevant to NM and/or the enterprises.
The ideal candidate is a dynamic, socially savvy individual, who networks with ease and enjoys connecting like-minded people. Ideally, the candidate would also have:
- Good understanding of the startup and social entrepreneurship field, and innovation, sustainability management, or related fields in Egypt, with about 3-5 years of professional experience
- Good understanding of one of the incubator’s sectors (creative, clean and green, economic empowerment, etc.)
- Relevant university degree. A master’s degree in a relevant field is an asset
- Excellent oral and written communication skills with the ability to write and speak persuasively; in both Arabic and English
- Highly organized and able to meet tight deadlines
- Excellent command of MS Office and social media platforms
- Ability to multi-task and handle several projects simultaneously
- Excellent communication, negotiation and partnership building skills
- Ability to work with multi-stakeholders and partners
- Good team player
Some travel to the governorates is required.
If you are a self-motivated individual who believes in the mission and vision of NM and has the above-mentioned skills and qualifications, please fill in the application form while making sure you upload your updated CV and a cover letter outlining why you are a good fit for the position.
NM is an equal opportunity employer.